Aadhar is an identity card of the residents of India. It is a unique identity of every person living in India. It is a 12 digit number that is generated randomly by an algorithm. The Aadhar is generated after capturing the biometrics of the individual. Aadhar is very important for you if you want to have an access to the different services of the Government of India. Almost all the services are now linked to Aadhar. Therefore, you must link your mobile number with Aadhar. If you don’t know how to link your mobile number, then this post will guide you through that process. But before that, let’s take a look at some important questions related to linking mobile numbers with Aadhar.
Why You Should Link Mobile Number With Aadhar?
You should link your mobile number because it will prevent you from going into unnecessary paperwork. You can access all the services seamlessly using Aadhar verification. If you do not link your mobile with Aadhar, then you will have to provide supporting documents for the same. This will take a lot of time and will also be inconvenient for you. Also, your driving license, PAN Card, Bank Account, etc. ask for your Aadhar details and verify the same using the mobile number linked to Aadhar.
You cannot verify such details without a mobile number linked with Aadhar. With so many benefits, you must be wondering is it possible to link a phone number with Aadhar if not done previously. We have discussed this question in the next section of this post. Read about it below.
Is it Possible to Link your Mobile Number With Aadhar?
The answer is yes, you can link your mobile number with Aadhar even if you do not have one at present. If you want a new Aadhar Card, which is possible only if you do not have one at present, you must fill in the mobile number in the enrolment form.
Otherwise, if you already have your Aadhar but do not have a mobile number linked with it, then we will guide you through the very simple process. However, it will take some of your time so plan your schedule. Read the next section to understand the steps to link a mobile number with Aadhar.
How to Link Mobile Number With Aadhar?
There are two cases where you would want to link your phone number with Aadhar. One is at the beginning of your Aadhar application and the second one is after you already have an Aadhar. The first case is very simple and it only requires a mobile number in the application form.
Fill in that information and the number gets linked immediately. However, you have to follow a set of steps to link your mobile number with Aadhar if you already have an Aadhar. Here are the steps to do so:
- Open the website of UIDAI. You can also click here to do so.
- Then, navigate to the My Aadhar Tab and click on Book an Appointment. If you want to skip the above step, click here.
- Select your city where you want to book an appointment and click on Proceed to Book Appointment.
- Now, a new tab will open up and you should click on Aadhar Update to link your mobile number.
- Enter your Mobile Number on which you can receive an OTP. This number need not be linked with Aadhar.
- Enter the Captcha and click on Generate OTP and fill the OTP. Verify the OTP and a new page will open up.
- Now, you must fill in the appointment details. This includes your Aadhar Number, Language, City, Enrolment Centre, etc.
- Now, select the option to update the Aadhar. In our case, it is a mobile number.
- Fill in the mobile number and verify it using an OTP. Click on Next.
- Fill in the Address, Email, and other details required. Then click on Next and choose the date and time for an appointment.
- Finally, you have to make the payment for the updating. You can either pay in advance or pay it at the Centre.
After the payment, take a printout of the payment receipt and the application form.
1. Important Point
After you take the application form to the Enrolment Centre at the time of appointment and get your biometrics verified, your Mobile Number will be linked to your Aadhar within 4 hours. In some cases, it takes up to 24 hours to reflect on your Aadhar. You can check the status of your Aadhar update using the method in the next section.
How to Check Aadhar Status?
If you have completed the process of linking your mobile number with Aadhar, but are yet to receive the confirmation, do not worry. Use the steps below to check the status before contacting UIDAI. Here are the steps you should follow:
- Open the UIDAI website.
- Navigate to the My Aadhar tab and click on Check Aadhar Status.
- Type the 28 Digit Enrolment ID and then enter the Captcha.
- Click on Check Status and your Aadhar status will appear on your screen.
If it is as per your requirements and updated, go to the download section and download the Aadhar. You can also read the next section to know about it.
How to Download Aadhar?
If you want to download the Aadhar, you can do it easily in less than a minute, Here are steps to do so:
- Open the UIDAI website.
- Navigate to the My Aadhar tab and click on Download Aadhar.
- Type the 28 Digit Enrolment ID, or your 12 Digit Aadhar Number, or 16 Digit Virtual ID, and then enter the Captcha.
- Enter the OTP on your mobile and click on Download Aadhar.
Take a quick survey and then your Aadhar will get downloaded. The Password to your Aadhar is the First four letters of your name and the year of your birth. For example, Anmol Singh (born in 1980) will have his password as ANMO1980.
This was all the information about linking the mobile number with Aadhar. You can easily link it online using a hassle-free process. If you face any problems, you can let us know about them in the comments section.